Saturday, August 17, 2013

Details Of Migraine Aura Simplified


Since birth I have suffered from migraines. For me, they're genetic, something that many of the women in my family, including my mother have dealt with. In my family's case they decrease with age, over the years I've gotten them less and less and today I hardly ever get a real migraine, maybe a few times a year. I remember when I was in elementary school, it was not unusual for me to get them 3 or 4 times a week and back then there was no medication that I could take, excluding Tylenol and anyone who suffers from migraines knows that Tylenol is no match.



  I got my first migraine when I was about 22. I was working at the time, and all of a sudden something weird was happening with my eyes. Strange sparkly things were taking over my field of vision. The way I like to explain it is that it's like staring into the sunny sky and seeing a sort of clear, moving kaliedescope. I don't know if anyone else understands what I'm talking about, but either way, it totally freaked me out. I sat down for a while, but it didn't go away. I ended up having to call my mom to pick me up because I was unable to drive in my condition.

  Migraine Triggers    There are certain things that can trigger migraines for people. They can be things you see, hear, or eat. There are many different things that have been noted to trigger headaches in migraine sufferers. Here is a short list:  Caffeine    Stress    Brightness, glare, or sunlight    Loud or sudden noises    Missing meals or general malnutrition

  I have been a severe migraine sufferer for the majority of my life and have developed ways to make myself feel better. I'd like to pass this last tip on to the world so it can help others. I make what I call The Station. When I have a migraine headache, I fill up a bowl with ice water and set it next to my bed. I dip a washcloth into the ice water and drape it over my forehead and eyes to soothe the headache and help me fall asleep. This is usually what makes the headache go away for me, although it can sometimes take a few hours. Try The Station next time you have a migraine headache.

  food cravings    constipation or diarrhea    mood changes    muscle stiffness, especially in the neck and shoulders    fatigue    increased frequency of urination    Listed above are some common symptoms of the Pro dome phase. Food cravings, extreme muscle stiffness in the neck and fatigue are usually the symptoms that I experience. Feeling these things warns me that a migraine headache is coming and I know I need to do ward it off. At this point I usually take a Goody's powder, BC powder or Excedrin migraine.

  Galenus of Pergamon used the term "hemicrania" (half-head), from which the word "migraine" was derived. He thought there was a connection between the stomach and the brain because of the nausea and vomiting that often accompany an attack. Followers of Galenus explained migraine as caused by aggressive yellow bile. Ibn Sina (Avicenna) described migraine in his textbook "El Qanoon fel teb" as "... small movements, drinking and eating, and sounds provoke the pain... the patient cannot tolerate the sound of speaking and light. He would like to rest in darkness alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment